Monday, April 12, 2010

Sisters


I want to share a sweet story with all of you.....


This weekend I came out into the living room to find Abby reading Jocelyn a book titled, "Babies with Down Syndrome". Abby was going through the pages until she would find a picture of a baby and then show it to Jocelyn. Here is how it went....

Mommy: Abby what are you doing?
Abby: Reading about syndrome.

Mommy: Abby that is so sweet of you to read to Jocelyn about Down Syndrome.
Abby: Why? (a favorite word these days)

Mommy: Jocelyn has down syndrome.
Abby: Mommy can I have that too?

Mommy: No, Abby you can't, only Jocelyn.


When will Abby know that Jocelyn is different than many of her peers? Right now Jocelyn is a typical baby. Doing all the things a baby should do: eat, play, sleep and cry. I know that someday Abby will begin to see Jocelyn struggle. I will be honest with Abby when she asks.

I know that having Jocelyn as a sister will teach Abby a lot. She is already so wise beyond her years in so many ways. I have read books, blogs, short stories about down syndrome and one thing people always say is how children with siblings with down syndrome are compassionate. Compassion is such an important thing that can't be taught. I am so happy that Abby will have compassion and even happier that she will have such a special sister:)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

such a sweet story. thank you for sharing:)

xoxo auntie mimi

Kristin said...

and such special and compassionate parents! You guys are awesome! Thanks for sharing:)