Meet Karen, Jocelyn’s swimming teacher. I love this picture of the two of them. Look how proud Jocelyn is that she is hanging on the wall all by herself. Now look at Karen, I think she may be even more proud!
Since Jocelyn was 6 months old I have been taking her to a group swimming lesson with Karen. I truly feel that swimming, with Karen as Jocelyn’s teacher, has played a huge role in Jocelyn’s development. Children with Down Syndrome often have lower muscle tone. In the water they don’t have to work to overcome the low tone. With Jocelyn not having to fight her low tone I watch her in the water become more verbal and build her strength. She also learned from an early age in the water, mouth and breath control. Before she was talking she was having to control her breath and mouth when she would go under the water. I could go on and on about how beneficial the water has been to Jocelyn.
Karen makes swimming even better! She loves Jocelyn and Jocelyn loves her. When Jocelyn sees Karen out of the water before class she puts her hands up and heads in for a hug. In the water Karen has fun songs to sing and a carefully thought out lesson for each class. Karen cares deeply for all the children in her class, but secretly I think Jocelyn and her buddy Elias have a special place in her heart.
I look forward to swimming classes with Jocelyn for years to come and hope that Karen is in the water swimming next to her:)
Looks pretty fun doesn’t it?
Thanks Karen for teach Jocelyn to swim, and SO much more:)
3 comments:
I gotta get Tay in there!
Of all the pictures, my favorite is the one with you, Becca, and your famous Becca concentrating lip bite.
It has been the highlight of my week for the past year! We are so spoiled with Karen :)
Post a Comment