Here I am 3 days before I gave birth to my sweet Jocelyn Rose. On this Christmas day I had no idea what was coming to me in just 3 days. Everything about Jocelyn’s arrival was unexpected. From the very beginning when she was unexpectedly born in our home to the pediatrician telling us that she suspected our new baby girl had down syndrome. The first few weeks were painfully difficult. I had fallen in love with a baby in my tummy and now a completely different baby was born.
It may sound strange but I wouldn’t have changed not knowing that Jocelyn had down syndrome. I enjoyed a wonderful stress free pregnancy. Chris and I decided not to do any of the prenatal screening for down syndrome. I was not in any high risk category for having a baby with down syndrome. The blood screening has a high false positive result. It was a decision that I do not regret.
When Jocelyn was just a few days old we sat and talked with a geneticist at Children’s hospital. She and Chris talked medical jargon and I sat and nodded my head. I was in a fog, but this scientific information was very therapeutic to Chris. It was determined that the type of down syndrome Jocelyn has was not genetic. It was a random chromosome addition that occurred. Giving her 3 21st chromosomes instead of two. We had a baby that was just days old and we were already learning about having another child. What testing would be available to us, our chances of having another child with down syndrome, and so much more.
Now I am 15 weeks pregnant with Huth Baby #3. We knew we wanted another child and also knew that another pregnancy would bring up so many emotions and new fears. Our risk of having another baby with down syndrome was just a little less than 1%. A little higher than another couple our age (31) but still less than someone over 40. I am now in the “high risk” pregnancy category. Pretty special, huh?
At 12 weeks we elected to have a nuchal translucency ultrasound performed. This is a high resolution ultrasound where they measure the thickness of the nuchal ligament. This ligament runs down the back of the baby’s neck. They use this measurement and combine it with results from a blood screen. The technician did the ultrasound and 10 minutes later the doctor walked in, sat down, and looked at us and said our baby was fine. Our risk was extremely low for any type of genetic condition. Happy, relieved tears rolled down my face. We are done with testing. This little baby is just fine:)
Yes, we will find out if we will have a baby boy or baby girl. I can honestly say that Chris or I will be thrilled with either one. A healthy baby is what really matters.
Today, I wouldn’t change one single thing about the baby girl that was born on December 28th, 2009. She is absolutely perfect just the way she is, extra chromosome and all. She has already brought so much to our family. I can’t wait to watch her as a big sister. Yes, she is not the baby I had fallen in love with during those 9 months, but today I am so happy that she is ours.
4 comments:
She is going to be an awesome big sister!
What a wonderful blog about a wonderful (and growing) family! BaPooh
Whew... you got me on this one.. sniff, sniff. You are a treasure to know.. Can't wait to see J as a big sister too..
you have a such a beautiful, amazing family...we love you guys!!! xoxo
Post a Comment